Today we cover the carnivore diet for beginners.
I give you my top three foods to avoid and three tips to get set up for success.
These are things you should do no matter what diet you’re following, but they are especially key for a carnivore diet.
Get these out of your diet ASAP!
Eliminate the really toxic foods:
- Grains/Beans/Lentils/Corn/Soy and other carb-dense foods
- Vegetable and seed oils
After that, do this…
1. Figure out your cooking fats situation.
Right now I default to avocado oil, Wild MCT OIL and ghee and some pastured butter.
These are perfect for your mix of cooking techniques. Use the avocado oil and ghee for high-heat cooking, the MCT oil for any low or medium heat recipes, and the pastured butter for baking and lower temperature recipes.
2. Get the basic tools:
- Cast iron pan
- Meat thermometer
- Sharp knife
- Small serrated knife
- Sheet pan with a wire rack
- Maybe a crockpot or slow cooker
3. Figure out your favorite meals and hone in on the sourcing for the meat for each of those meals. Then buy enough and stock up your freezer.
4. Bonus tip: Test a bunch of canned seafood. Find options you like. My seafood pate video here is my favorite technique for staying on your diet when at any grocery store.